Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Derby Pie Take 2

Seeing as the first Derby Pie didn't make through the night of our dinner party Friday- I was inspired to make a second pie on Sunday. I decided to try a slightly different approach this time. As I mentioned, the first pie was not quite as gooey as I was hoping for and there is nothing more deliciously gooey than my mother-in-laws amazing pecan pie. John goes CRAZY for it... so I pulled out her recipe as the base for a new Derby Pie creation.
I used a Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust again (they come in packages of two). Claudia's filling calls for:
*1/2 stick of melted butter- cooled
*3 eggs
*1 cup of dark Karo syrup
*1/2 tsp vanilla
*1/2 cup white sugar
*1/2 cup chopped pecans (coarsely)
I then added 1 T of bourbon and 1/4 cup of semi sweet chocolate chips, Derby style. (General rule of thumb: everything is better with chocolate *and most things with bourbon*.)
Because the last pie got a little too brown (and Claudia's recipe doesn't specify to)- I decided not to blind bake the shell this time. I baked the pie at 350 for 40 mins or so until it was beautifully golden brown. Unfortunately, though this pie was scrumptiously gooey as I was hoping, and the flavor was FANTASTIC- once we got in there I realized it was slightly undercooked this time. The inside did not set up all the way as it normally is when Claudia makes it and the bottom of crust was still slightly "raw".
Perhaps the third time's a charm? It did occur to me that she uses dark metal pie plates and I was using a glass one. I might try bumping the temp up 25 degrees as well or maybe just adding 5 or 6 mins of bake time. We're getting closer....

No comments:

Post a Comment