Thursday, December 3, 2009

A Lesson in California Cabernet Savignon

Meet Greer Scoggins. Brother-in-law and California Cabernet Savignon Guru Extraordinaire. As you can see from the picture he was in.his.element the Saturday after Thanksgiving as we gathered for some family fun. Who wouldn't be while sipping phenomenal red wine in his pjs watching Florida beat the tar out of Florida State?? (In great company might I add.)
Greer and Melissa have a gorgeous home in Milton, Georgia- a suburb of Atlanta near Alpharetta. Greer has recently completed the construction of a spectacularly beautiful wine cellar and bar in their basement - which happens to be where we began our tutorial on Amazing California Cabs over Thanksgiving weekend. Per my last post, we had a family pizza party that night which in retrospect hardly seems like a worthy backdrop for a wine tasting of this caliber- but I'm not complaining. (Mind you it was Nate and me that decided to make pizza, we would have stepped it up a few notches if we'd known what Greer was planning for the wine menu.) I wish I could tell you more about these wines other than the fact that they absolutely knocked our socks off- I'll try to share a few tid-bits about each...
The first was a Niebaum- Coppola Rubcon, 1999. This is a cabernet-blend wine from Rutherford, CA-the winery/vineyards is now called Rubicon Estate. From my research it received 94 wine spectator points and currently sells for just around $100/bottle. Let me just tell you it is WORTH EVERY PENNY. I found a great quote on the website..."When Francis Coppola set out to craft a world-class proprietary red wine using historic vines of the famed Inglenook property he found Caesar's march on Rome- 'The Crossing of the Rubicon'- an appropriate metaphor in its implied 'point of no return'." I found this particularly interesting because as Greer pointed out, the wine is very reminiscent of an old world red in richness. It was absolutely delightful. I could be happy to sit and just sniff it. This is truly a special wine- would make a fantastic gift or celebratory bottle for a big occasion. John and I are planning our very first trip to CA wine country in May- this will absolutely be on the short list of must-see places.
Next up was the 2006 Darioush Cabernet Savignon Caravan also from the Napa Valley. The 2006 is a blend of 76% Cab, 15% Merlot, 2% Petit Verdot and 2% Malbec that spends 22 months in two-thirds new French oak. YUMMY. This one was also amazing- I don't have as much tasting experience at this price point but I'd agree with Greer's sentiment that this $35 bottle actually drinks like a much more expensive wine. I also read that this particular vintage should get even better over the next 2-3 years. I love the idea of buying some now to stash away- however I don't know if I trust myself not to open it- patience is not my thing.
The next wine was the 2006 Obsidian Ridge Cab. With 89 points from WS, it was listed among the top 100 wines of 2008 by the San Fransisco Cronical. This wine was also fantastic. Tasting Notes (according to http://www.napacab.com/) Named after the famed black marble-like soils called Obsidian, this fairly priced Cabernet Sauvignon from Lake County, made by Michael Terrien, reveals plenty of potential. Attractive red and black currant fruit intermixed with notions of damp earth, licorice, and spice box are found in this round, juicy, seductive, medium to full-bodied Cabernet Sauvignon. It is ideal for drinking over the next 5-6 years. Approx $25
Last but certainly not least (we clearly had our buzz on at this point) Greer opened a bottle of the Sebastiani Cab from the Alexander Valley. This is Greer's "go-to" cab for everyday drinking. At $15-$20 a bottle, its not necessarily in my every day drinking category just yet- but I do hope that one day it will be! It is truly an excellent wine- Wine Spectator gave it 89 points and said "One of the best bang-for-your-buck producers is Sebastiani; its Alexander Valley 2006 doesn't disappoint." According to the website it also won a Silver Medal at the 2009 Sonoma County Harvest Fair - I would imagine that the competition isn't too shabby at that particular event.
I feel compelled to add- because I find it kind of funny- that while Greer is the high-end California Cabernet guru, Melissa is the Chardonnay-under-$10-a-bottle-guru. Opposites attract I guess?? Her favorite last time we visited was the Clos du Bois Chardonnay. I can also attest that this is a great bottle as it happens to be a favorite at my girl's night here in Charleston (I can also attest that it has caused many-a morning after headache amongst my friends.) Melissa's latest favorite is the Cupcake Chardonnay which as I've just read was labeled one of the Best Buys of 2008 by Wine Enthusiast magazine.
Nate and Melissa a few "cupcakes" in..
Love you guys! Thanks again for having us and for the fantastic tasting tour of the new wine cellar! Hope we get a chance to do it again soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment