Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Claudia's Pecan Pie

Well it was an action packed Thanksgiving Holiday here in Kentucky this year!  The final headcount at our Windy Hill Farm Thanksgiving feast was 44 people which  means the AS kitchen has been cooking up a storm.  (Hence the lack of posting activity.) We had family from all sides and all over the country in town and there was spectacular food, drink and merriment shared by all.  My mother-in-law and I contributed the majority of the desserts this year- the spread ranging from her unbeatable Pecan Pie to my Bourbon Pumpkin Cheesecake to my grandmother's Apple Strudel.  (and lots more in between)  As we merged the Lacys with the Cobetto/Cunningham clan for the first ever holiday celebration- I thought I'd share a Lacy recipe that got rave reviews from the rest of the family.
Pecan Pie Filling:  makes 1 pie

1/2 cup of sugar
1 cup dark Karo corn syrup
1/2 stick of butter, melted
3 eggs
1/2 cup of chopped pecans
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla

Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl and fill an unbaked 9 inch pie crust.  Bake at 350 for 40-50 minutes until golden brown and set.

Pastry for Pies:  also Claudia's recipe

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour (she likes Lily brand)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening
4-5 tablespoons of cold water

Mix salt with flour and cut in the shortening with a pastry blender.  Add the cold water one tablespoon at a time until dough forms a ball.  Roll out to fit pie pan. 



A few other great scenes from the day...


my parents' barn decked out for the party


carving one of six turkeys fried for the occaison


mid-feast with Johnboy, "the littles" and my cousins


a beautiful ending to the perfect Turkey Day

 photography courtesy of my extremely talented "boy little", Nate Lacy and my cousin Sarah

1 comment:

  1. Love the photos! And wish I had those pies right now. :)

    ReplyDelete