Thursday, January 26, 2012

Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal

So this recipe might not seem blog worthy at first but I'm telling you- this little trick shared with me by a friend has changed my life for the better.  I can't help but think this would be a big hit with the kids too.  I've always loved oatmeal but I tend to steer clear of the sickeningly sweet stuff that comes in a little packet.  I'm a big fan of the classic Quaker Old Fashioned Oats in the cardboard container.

Bob's Red Mill has a great Gluten Free Rolled Oats variety and a Steel Cut Oat option that I really like as well.  (Likely in the health foods section of your grocery store.)  Both are going to take longer (10-15 mins) to cook however.


1)  Prepare the oats per the package instructions using water versus milk.  I don't like the gumminess that results from boiling them in milk.  Don't worry- we'll add ample "creaminess" here in a minute. 

2)  Remove the oats from the heat and add 1 tablespoon of your favorite peanut butter (almond butter is delicious as well) per serving of oats prepared.  Stir the the peanut butter into the oats as it melts, resulting in a luxuriously smooth and creamy concoction.

3)  Transfer the oatmeal to a bowl and top with your favorite combination of the following:

* Sliced fresh banana
* Clover Honey (Go Local!!)
* Dark Brown Sugar
* Cinnamon
* Toasted pecans, walnuts or almond slices
* Semi sweet chocolate chips  Toss them on while warm and they melt into the oatmeal- this tastes more like dessert than breakfast!
* A splash of milk



I'm telling you this is the true breakfast of champions.  The boost of protein from the nut butter helps keep you full longer and gives you a huge flavor boost without the need for a bunch of sugar.

I also promise you that if you use the standard old fashioned oats (cook time is 3 minutes)- the entire process, start to finish takes 5 or 6 minutes max.  I know its hard to get motivated to cook a weekday breakfast but there is something about starting the day with a warm, hearty meal  (and a great cup of coffee) to get things off on the right foot.


2 comments:

  1. Alright, I don't even like oatmeal and this looks so good that I'm going to try it. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nothing better than pnut butter and bananas. this is a must try!

    ReplyDelete