Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Grilled Brie and Bacon Sandwiches with fresh Figs and Apples

My apologies, dear readers, for the lack of posting activity over these past weeks. John and I were up in Kentucky for almost a week for my baby sister's wedding festivities! She was the most beautiful bride in the whole wide world... It is hard to believe its over, after over a year of planning, it sure goes by fast... but we're back home now and we seem to have brought some rainy fall weather home with us. Rainy fall weather just happens to be my favorite for cooking -its the perfect setting for decadent comfort food. Last night, I made some oozy, melty grilled brie sandwiches that were incredibly tasty. I melted some butter in a nonstick skillet over medium heat and then in went the bread. I had three (smallish) pieces of sourdough bread to make three sandwiches. I piled the bread with slices of brie cheese (about 1/4 inch think), slices of cooked bacon broken in half, a layer of thinly sliced apple, (Honeycrisp apples are in season right now and they are AMAZING), and a couple of slices of fresh Turkish fig. I was shocked to see fresh figs in the grocery so I had to buy a couple. They are great in salads with goat cheese or wrapped in prosciutto and roasted as an appetizer. However, if I didn't have fresh figs for this sandwich, I would have used the jarred fig jam that I buy at Whole Foods (in the cheese section) instead Anyways, I layered the sandwiches, toasted them on both sides until the cheese started to ooze and then served them alongside an arugula salad with champagne-dijon vinaigrette and a glass of crisp pinot grigio. So delicious... I could definitely make a habit out of these!

No comments:

Post a Comment