Sunday, January 24, 2010

Panko Chicken with Mustard-Maple Pan Sauce

I perused the trusty epicurious.com while at work Monday for quick/healthy weeknight recipe ideas and landed on Panko Chicken with Maple Mustard Pan Sauce.
I started with three Organic "Smart" Chicken Breasts and pounded each of them out to approx 1/2 inch thickness. I put the chicken breast between two sheets of plastic wrap and then pound it with a rolling pin- careful to keep an even thickness and not to tear holes in it. I then cut each of the breasts in half. I made an egg wash with one egg and a splash of water and dunked each piece first in the egg and secondly into panko breadcrumbs seasoned with kosher salt and pepper (I didn't bother with the mustard or parsley just yet.)
I pan fried each piece in some butter and olive oil- approx 4 minutes per side. Meanwhile I had cleaned some fresh brussels sprouts (cut off the bottom, remove the outer leaves and then halve lengthwise). I have officially named Brussels Sprouts my Favorite Vegetable of 2009. I discovered a great love for them last year thanks to my sister and I'm fairly confident that we'll continue our love affair into 2010. I prepare them simply- drizzled with olive oil, seasoned with salt and pepper, and roasted in a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes. I take them out at 15 minutes to flip them and shuffle them around. (I especially love to pick out the little crispy leaves that fall off and get really brown and crunchy... they taste like popcorn!)
As soon as the chicken was done, I set it aside and tented with foil while I made the pan sauce. I followed the recipe, it was still plenty even though I made an extra chicken breast. I reduced a mixture of dijon, whole grain mustard, pure maple syrup and chicken stock to create a lovely glaze/sauce to pour over the chicken. I actually measured everything directly into the same skillet that I used to cook the chicken- incorporating all of the extra bits of flavor from the bottom of the pan. I threw in some chopped fresh parsley at the very end.
The sauce was fantastic over the crispy chicken and accompanied by the toasty brussels sprouts and a baked sweet potato- we had a hearty, colorful, nutrient packed meal with enough for left overs the following night as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment