Friday, January 8, 2010

Quick Weeknight Taco Salad

I'm sure all kids loved taco night growing up- I know Annie and I did. I can't decide if it was tacos or Kraft Mac and Cheese that we learned to cook first. I just know that there was a period of time where both of us had to stand on kitchen chairs to reach the stove- yet that did not deter us.
To this day, one of my favorite easy weeknight meals is tacos or most recently, a taco salad. John had a haircut the other night so I was trying to prepare dinner quickly so he could make it there on time. I think we pulled the whole thing together in about 16 minutes flat.
We browned one pound of ground turkey in a nonstick skillet. I typically add one package of low-sodium taco seasoning mix and a splash of water right at the end. I was out of taco seasoning so I quickly made my own iteration (ground oregano, chili powder, garlic salt, cumin, cayenne, salt.)
Meanwhile I opened a can of seasoned black beans and warmed in a saucepan on the stove.
Next I arranged iceberg lettuce on two plates. As soon as the turkey was cooked through and the beans warm, I topped the lettuce with a spoonful of each. I then garnished the plates with with:
*1 sliced fresh avocado
*2 green onions- sliced
*a sprinkle of mexi-blend shredded cheese
*a scoop of store bought pico de gallo
*a few sprigs of chopped fresh cilantro
and a squeeze of fresh lime juice at the end as well...
It's taco night for grown-ups and a healthy weeknight meal in minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment