Wednesday, September 15, 2010

My Favorite Guacamole

Guacamole is one of my favorite snacks of all time. John and I can mow through a bowl of it in an embarrassingly short amount of time actually. My philosophy is "keep it simple but add a kick". This recipe served three of us as an appetizer.... *two avocados *juice of half a lime *half a jalapeno pepper, finely diced *two/three green onions, sliced (green and white parts) *one small clove of garlic, grated/minced well *one Roma tomato or a small handful of cherry tomatoes- diced *pinch salt and a few grinds of pepper *1 teaspoon of fresh cilantro- chopped I started with two perfectly ripe avocados. I slice them in half, remove the pit and then using a pairing knife I score the flesh horizontally and vertically- all the way down to the skin (try not to cut through.) I then use a large spoon to scoop the avocado out of the skin and I have perfect bite sized chunks to throw on to a salad or, in this case, it makes it easier to mash.
I immediately spritz the avocado with the lime juice. (Sometimes more depending on the juice factor of the lime on hand.) John is very particular about this- he doesn't like it to be very tart so I use just enough to freshen up the flavor and keep it from turning brown.
Next I add the rest of the veggies along with the salt and pepper and using a potato masher, I gently mash it all together until creamy, yet chunky and well incorporated.
Serve with chips and- if you're at my house- stand back to avoid losing a finger as John digs in.

2 comments: