Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Lime Tart with Blackberries

While waiving goodbye to summer, I decided to squeeze one last seasonal/berry dessert in while enjoying the lingering warm weather. I found a recipe for a Lime Tart with Blackberries and Blueberries in the June issue of Bon Appetit magazine. I adapted it slightly based on the time and ingredients available to me for an impromptu dinner party... Fresh Lime Curd:

3 large eggs

3 large egg yolks

1 cup sugar

3/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice

6 Tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter, cut into pieces

Whisk the eggs, sugar and lime juice together in a saucepan until well blended. Cook over medium low heat- stirring constantly- until the mixture thickens into a custard. I was on medium-low heat for 7-8 minutes. I would recommend you start on low, if it takes much longer, gradually increase the heat until it starts to thicken.

Remove the curd from the heat and strained it into a large glass bowl to remove any clumps. Add the butter, let set for a minute until softened and then whisk until smooth. Cover it with plastic wrap so that it is laying directly on top of the lime curd and refrigerate for 3-4 hours. (Can be made the day ahead.)

I decided to roll with a simple graham cracker crust, reminiscent of a key lime pie. It might not be quite as elegant as a pastry crust but I love the contrasting crispy-crumbly texture with the smooth and creamy curd.

Graham Cracker Crust:

1 and 1/2 sleeves of Graham Crackers (I used low fat)

1/4 cup of brown sugar

2/3 of a stick of unsalted butter- melted in the microwave

Break the graham crackers by hand into the food processor and then pulse until they are broken down into even crumbs. Then add the brown sugar and melted butter, pulsing until evenly incorporated. (It should clump together like wet sand when you pinch it.) Spread the crumbs into a 9 inch tart pan with a removable bottom (sprayed lightly with non stick spray) and then press into the bottom and up the sides using a metal measuring cup.

Bake the crust at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until lightly golden brown. As soon as you can smell it toasting, its done.

I let the crust rest until just before my dinner guest were to arrive. I then filled it with the lime curd and arranged fresh blackberries over the top. I started with a ring around the outside of the tart and then worked inward, creating concentric circles. (Bon Appetit adds a heap of blueberries in the center as well as a jam glaze for some additional wow factor.)

I stored the tart in the fridge until it was ready to serve. I then removed the tart from the pan (pushing the bottom up and over the edges) and sliced into 8 generous pieces. Hint: Use a very large knife so that you can simply press down to cut versus dragging a knife through the tart. It keeps the filling and berries in place for a cleaner presentation.)

This was the perfect light (kind of) and fresh ending to my dinner menu of Oven Barbeque Shrimp and Grits with Baked Jalepeno Cheddar Grits.

*As I was just linking back to this recipe posted last summer- I saw that I served a Fresh Berry and Lemon Curd trifle with it! Honest to goodness, I'd forgotten. I can say again that it works very well wtih this menu- the freshness and tang of the citrus and berries cuts through the richness of the meal.

1 comment: