Friday, October 29, 2010

Lamb Tenderloins with Roasted Fingerling Potatoes and Sauteed Spinach

"Lamb tenderloins??" You might be scratching your head as I realize these aren't something you see at your average Kroger meat counter. So allow me to let you in on a little secret... we're talking about the most tender, delicate, delicious morsels of lamb you will ever experience. Growing up in Saudi Arabia, lamb was the most popular of proteins, therefore my mom was able to get these on a regular basis. I'm convinced that the Saudi Royal Family must have some secret deal with the U.S. Government that says all lamb tenderloins will be exported for their exclusive dining pleasure because they truly are hard to find. There was actually a small butcher shop in Charleston that carried them but even they were most often sold out. I finally asked what the deal was and they told me there was an older (I'm envisioning wealthy) woman out on Wadamalaw Island that called in every week to buy every last one of them as they came in. So imagine my surprise (and delight) when I spotted them at Fresh Market a few weeks ago!!There are a little pricey (I think $14/lb?) but WORTH.IT. Marinated simply in the following marinade (1 hour is sufficient), a quick grilling or pan searing of these babies is all you need for what I assure you is a super special meal... Lamb Marinade: 2 large cloves of garlic, minced 1/4 cup olive oil juice of 1 lemon 1 teaspoon of salt 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper 1 generous teaspoon of fresh rosemary, chopped *This was just enough for one pound of lamb. Similarly, I dressed my cleaned, halved fingerling potatoes with a mixture of: 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil 1 teaspoon of kosher salt 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper 2 cloves of garlic, minced 1 teaspoon of fresh rosemary *I had a bag of fingerlings from the store, roughly two pounds, maybe not quite... I tossed the potatoes in the mixture and then roasted them at 425 degrees for approximately 35 minutes total. I started them cut side down and then flipped them half way through. Just as I put the potatoes in for the second half of bake time (post flip), I cooked my lamb. I removed the lamb tenderloins from the marinade and seared them over high heat- in a drizzle of olive oil- for barely 2 minutes per side. They were perfectly caramelized on the outside and a lovely medium/medium rare inside. I let them rest, tented loosely with tin foil while I quickly sauteed one bag of baby spinach in the same pan. I thinly sliced two garlic cloves to add in with a drizzle of oil, salt and pepper. It cooks down almost immediately over medium heat. (I take it off the heat before the last of the leaves have wilted to ensure it doesn't get too soft.)
A classic "steak house" dinner made even more special by way of lamb. Just as with chicken, pork or beef, the lamb tenderloins are melt-in-your mouth tender and juicy. You MUST keep your eyes peeled for them... you'll thank me!

This meal serves 4 however I would use 2 bags of spinach.

No comments:

Post a Comment