Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

Nothing says fall like butternut squash. As soon as the weather cools down, around mid-late October, you start to see it everywhere you go. I was in search of a nutritious and delicious weeknight dinner, preferably one that would not require a trip to the grocery store... and this roasted butternut squash soup was the perfect answer. Ingredients: one butternut squash, peeled and cubed half of a large onion, diced half of a red bell pepper, diced one large stalk of celery, diced half of one teaspoon dried thyme half of one teaspoon dried, rubbed sage one teaspoon kosher salt half of one teaspoon cracked black pepper three to four cups of chicken stock two or three tablespoons of cup heavy cream (optional) two tablespoons of butter five fresh sage leaves, sliced I peeled the squash with a vegetable peeler and then cut it into quarters, using a spoon to scoop out the seeds and strings from the bottom half. I then cut it into 3/4 inch slices and then into cubes. I tossed the squahs in a bowl with a few tablespoons of olive oil, a pinch of kosher salt and some pepper before spreading it on a large rimmed baking sheet. I roasted the squash at 425 degrees for 35-40 minutes (until it was tender but before it became mushy), flipping the pieces around after 20 minutes. Meanwhile I prepped my other vegetables... As soon as the squash came out of the oven, I started a heavy bottomed soup pot on the stove over medium heat. I sauteed the onion, pepper and celery in a bit of olive oil for 7 or 8 minutes until everything was tender. Next I added the salt, pepper, thyme and sage, stirring everything together before adding the roasted squash to the pot. I gave the veggies another quick toss together and then added the stock. I started with approximately 4 cups of liquid and let it simmer together for 15 minutes or so over low heat to bring all of the flavors together. I then used an immersion blender to puree the vegetables into a smooth and velvety soup. (You could also use a blender.) I added more stock, a few splashes at a time, to thin the soup to the desired consistency. You could also finish it with a few splashes of heavy cream for richness at the very end if you'd like. For a garnish and some extra flavor, I gently melted two tablespoons of butter in a small pan over medium heat- letting it cook until it was barely golden brown before adding the fresh sage. I cooked it for one minute and then removed it from the heat. Spooning a few of the crispy leaves and a drizzle of the butter over the top of the soup as I served it. Brown butter, sage and butternut squash might be one of the most perfect flavor combinations of all time. Soup and Salad would not typically be John's first choice for dinner, but this creamy, sweet and savory soup paired with my favorite hearty fall salad didn't get any complaints from the peanut gallery... For the salad- I use mixed greens, baby spinach, or whatever lettuce I have on hand. I start with a handful of greens on each plate. I then top it with some freshly diced apple (honeycrisp or pink lady are my favorites), a sprinkle of dried cranberries, a spoonful of crumbled blue/gorgonzola/goat cheese, and a sprinkle of nuts if I have some handy. (Candied pecans or lightly toasted almonds are both yummy.) I drizzle the salad with a quick of vinaigrette of balsamic vinegar, olive oil, dijon mustard and honey. (2 tablespoons each of oil and vinegar, 1 teaspoon each dijon and honey). Its the perfect combination of crunchy, sweet, and tangy. Somehow, I never get tired of it. (John claims he's not sick of it yet either but my bet is that he's getting close.) A healthy dinner I assure you was plenty satisfying as it was delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment