Monday, November 30, 2009

Ginger-Maple Glazed Salmon with Spaghetti Squash and Green Beans

I was trying to get one last healthy meal in before the Thanksgiving Holiday last week, so I had John pick up some wild salmon and fresh green beans from whole foods. We were busy packing for our trip so I was looking for something that would be easy to prepare and relatively light so as to not slow us down. There is a time and a place for a big yummy meal and a glass of wine that leaves you with no choice but to veg on the couch for the evening but this was not it. I didn't have much in the fridge so I had to improvise a little bit. I had a spaghetti squash that I'd been meaning to use up so I got that roasting in the oven first. I cut it in half length-wise, drizzled it with olive oil and seasoned with salt and pepper. I placed it on a cookie sheet lined with foil (cut side up) and roasted it in the oven at 425 degrees for about 35 minutes. In the meantime, I made a glaze for the salmon: 1 tablespoon of Balsamic vinegar 1 tablespoon of olive oil 2 tablespoons of pure maple syrup 1 tsp dijon mustard 1 tsp of grated ginger Pinch of salt and some fresh black pepper I whisked it together and then poured carefully over the salmon filet (approx 2/3 of a lb)- reserving one spoon full. I let it sit for 15 mins or so while I snapped the green beans, spooning the glaze back over the top from time to time as it ran off into the baking dish. When the timer read 12 mins on the squash, I put the salmon in the oven to roast alongside it. I steamed my green beans in the meantime as well. At about 6 minutes, I pulled the salmon out to brush with the last of the glaze. (I would definitely check the salmon around 8 or 10 mins, I don't think I ended up letting it go the full 12 mins.) I shredded the spaghetti squash with a fork and then added some butter and some salt and pepper to taste. It really is a great side dish- one that I don't make very often but really enjoy when I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment