Friday, November 6, 2009

Mom's Chicken Divan

Many of you know that the lack of posting activity is largely due to the fact that John is currently on the interview trail. He has 18 interviews in an 8 week period at residency programs up and down the East coast... needless to say that leaves little time for leisurely dinners at home these days. I had my brother-in-law Nate over this week for a casual weeknight dinner and I decided to make one of my favorite comfort food dishes of all time. I'm not really a "casserole" kind of girl, but this one is exceptionally fantastic. Chicken divan is a classic chicken and broccoli casserole. Mom's is kicked up with some curry which makes all the difference. I started with two rotisserie chicken breasts and one large bunch of fresh broccoli. I cut the chicken into cubes and then roughly chopped the lightly steamed broccoli (including a few inches of the stalks.) In a bowl, I whisked together the following: 2/3 can cream of chicken soup 1/4 cup mayo 1/4 cup evaporated milk 1/2 tsp curry powder generous grind of black pepper I gently tossed the chicken and broccoli in with the sauce mixture until evenly coated and then I transferred everything to a medium sized baking dish coated with cooking spray. The best thing about a casserole of course is the crispy crunchy, golden brown topping- so I made a generous amount of it. I mixed 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs with 3 tablespoons of freshly grated parmesan cheese. I added some extra cracked black pepper to the mix as well. I spread the crumb mixture over the casserole dish and then lightly sprayed the top with cooking spray to help it toast. I baked the casserole at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until golden and barely bubbly. I served the chicken divan with some wild and brown rice on the side. I can honestly say that I ate this for lunch AND dinner again the following day. I definitely enjoyed it, a sprinkle of nostalgia made it taste even better than I'd remembered. Love you Mom. xo

1 comment:

  1. You made me cry! You make me feel like we are together while you cook - & that is amazing. I love and miss you, Mom

    ReplyDelete