Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Slow Roasted Halibut with Salsa Genovese

I wanted to make a special dinner Saturday night to welcome John home from a long, crazy week on the interview trail. I did a loop through Whole Foods Saturday afternoon and they had the most amazing fish selection. They had some beautiful red grouper fillets, fresh halibut and some wild Alaskan salmon... it was very hard to chose. I ended up with the halibut per the recommendation of the Whole Foods Fish Man. They also had some wild caught stone crab claws which I couldn't pass up... we had some recently at Joe's out in Las Vegas and I've been dreaming of them every since! I decided to try a Michael Chiarello recipe from his Easy Entertaining cookbook-"Slow Roasted Halibut with Salsa Genovese"- I really love his California/Italian style of cooking. Its simple food prepared authentically with great fresh ingredients. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/easy-entertaining-with-michael-chiarello/slow-roasted-halibut-with-asparagus-and-salsa-genovese-recipe/index.html I followed the recipe exactly for roasting the fish and I made a smaller batch of the salsa genovese since I was only cooking for two- I halved the recipe. I didn't have any asparagus on hand so I actually served the fish with sauteed garlic spinach- one of John's favorites. I realized that the halibut was barely undercooked as I was plating it (the filets were really thick)- but 20 seconds in the microwave and they were perfectly flaky. Other than that- the recipe was marvelous. Simple, fresh and light. (I actually used the left over Salsa Genovese two days later as a spread on some grilled mozzarella and tomato sandwiches, it was very very tasty.) We enjoyed the crab claws as an appetizer. I steamed them lightly and served them with some lemon-butter for dipping. To drink- we sampled a bottle of Elk Cove Pinot Noir from the Willamette Valley in Oregon and it was FANTASTIC. I'm starting to study up for our Oregon/California trip we're planning for May!!! I'll be documenting my Willamette Pinot experiments for your reading pleasure over the next few months...

No comments:

Post a Comment