Sunday, February 28, 2010

Quick Weeknight Spaghetti with Artichoke Hearts and Parmesan

We have had an action packed week of cleaning, packing...packing and more cleaning... Fortunately we're seeing the light at the end of the tunnel with our house hitting the market this weekend! We were certainly working up an appetite but didn't have much time for dinner prep nor did I want to make a big mess in the kitchen (because that would mean more cleaning...) This super easy spaghetti dinner was really delicious and I used only one pot, one cutting board, and one knife to prepare it. First I put the water on for the spaghetti- I cooked about half of a box for the two of us. I always cook it one minute less than the package directions for the perfect al dente texture. While the pasta was cooking, I minced two large cloves of garlic. On the same board I roughly chopped about half of a can of quartered artichoke hearts (not marinated). As soon as the pasta was finished, I drained it into a collander and into the same pot, turned down to medium heat, I drizzled about 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil and added a small pat of butter as well for extra flavor. As soon as it was melted, I tossed the garlic and artichokes in at the same time and stirred to coat everything with the butter and oil. Next I added a scant teaspoon of an Italian spice mixture that we brought back from Italy. It has red pepper flakes and dried herbs-oregano, parsley, and basil, etc. A tiny pinch of each would do the trick plus some kosher salt and black pepper. I cooked the mixture until the artichokes were heated through and the garlic was fragrant- watching closely to be sure the garlic didn't get much color. I then added the pasta back to the pot and gave it all a toss together. I plated the pasta with a very generous dusting of freshly grated parmesan reggiano cheese and buon appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment