Thursday, February 18, 2010

Crab Cake Salad with Roasted Sweet Potatoes

I made a warm crab and artichoke dip to take over to Stuart and Lee's house for Valentine's day on Sunday night, so Monday night, I made another special belated Valentine's Day dinner for John with the remaining half pound of lump crab meat. I posted my family's infamous crab cake recipe last year however this time I stepped out of the box a little bit with a few extra ingredients. We had a DECADENT weekend of eating so I was thinking that a salad for dinner seemed appropriate (even though this was definitely more exciting than your average dinner salad.) I started the roasted sweet potatoes first knowing they'd take 30-40 minutes to cook at 425 degrees. I peeled and cubed two potatoes into a bowl. Over the top I added: 2-3 tablespoons olive oil 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar 1 tsp honey 1/2 tsp kosher salt 1/4 tsp cracked black pepper I tossed it all together and poured onto a baking sheet coated with cooking spray to keep them from sticking. They went into the 425 degree oven, timer set for 20 minutes. 20 minutes in, I flipped them over with a spatula and then they went back in for another 15 or so until tender and golden brown. While the potatoes were toasting, I assembled the crab cakes: 1/2 lb lump crab meat (gently pick through for bits of shell) 1 teaspoon of mayonnaise 1/2 tsp dijon mustard juice of half a lemon 1/2 tsp old bay seasoning dash of Texas Pete 1 egg white 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs (more for coating) 1/3 of a red bell pepper, finely diced 1/2 shallot, finely diced 1 tsp capers, drained cracked black pepper pinch of kosher salt I whisked together the mayo through egg white in the bottom of a bowl. I then added the crab meat and let it marinate a few minutes while I quickly sauteed the bell pepper and shallot in a skillet with a drizzle of olive oil. (Over medium heat for 3 or 4 mins, until tender.) I let them cool a minute and then tossed into the bowl with the rest of the mixture- lastly adding the capers and panko crumbs. I tossed it all together VERY GENTLY to avoid breaking apart the crab. I divided the mixture into four cakes, patted them together and then coated in some additional panko crumbs to hold them together. (NOTE: At first it may seem that they don't want to bind together but the extra panko coating really helps them hold the shape.)
I browned the cakes in a little bit of olive oil and butter in a non stick skillet over medium heat for about 4-5 minutes per side. (Mine got a little browner than I would have liked this time.) You want a golden brown outside and for them to be heated all the way through the inside.
Lemony Dijon Vinaigrette to drizzle over the top of the salad:
Juice of half a lemon
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 tsp (not quite) dijon mustard
small squeeze of honey
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper
Whisk together well until emulsified (oil no longer separates to the top).
Though everything was finished cooking at approximately the same time, I served the salad closer to room temperature. I arranged a generous pile of mixed baby greens and arugula on the plate. (I first tossed the greens with about half the vinaigrette in a bowl.) I placed two crab cakes on top and a few little piles of the roasted potatoes around the outside. I drizzled the remaining vinaigrette over the top to be sure the crab cakes and potatoes had a little extra zing too.
I really enjoyed the sweet potatoes, mixing a little bit of winter in with what might have otherwise felt like a summery dish. And in keeping with the almost-healthy-with-a-hint-of-decadence theme, my sweet hubby brought me some Valentine's Day Chocolate covered strawberries from GODIVA for dessert!

No comments:

Post a Comment