Monday, June 1, 2009

Beach Livin

What an amazing weekend in Charleston. Driving home yesterday from a long day of beach, sun, and boating in the lowcountry, I realized that I honestly live in most people's idea of vacation! Every weekend of the year is full of great excuses to get outside, enjoy the beach or an evening grilling out on the back deck with friends. I will say it is also slightly de-motivating however when it comes to things like house chores... while the weekend was a fun one, didn't get too much done. Our Friday night routine has recently consisted of a trip to Whole Foods, cooking dinner for two over a good bottle of wine. This week it was crab legs with drawn lemon butter, an arugula salad full of dried cranberries, candied pecans and crumbled gorgonzola and a bottle of Veuve Cliquot champagne. (a wedding gift that we've saved for 2 years) We have an amazing screened in back porch where we spend many an evening listening to music and the choir of tree frogs that live behind our house. We've found that the majority of our social plans are now revolving around this peacefully relaxing setting- for those of you who have fallen prey to the late nights on the Lacy porch, you understand what I'm sayin. After a long day at the Beach on Saturday we decided to do a low country boil for a handful of friends- also referred to as frogmore stew. John has absolutely PERFECTED his boil recipe. The corn deliciously sweet, the red potatoes buttery soft without being mushy, the sausage plump with the juicy flavor of the crab boil seasoning and the shrimp cooked to perfection. He says he uses the Coastal Living recipe as a guide for cooking times though he's tweaked it to his own. http://www.coastalliving.com/food/entertaining/lowcountry-boil-00400000001984/ Beyond the traditional cocktail sauce, I've also added my own twist with my Old Bay Butter accoutrement. I melt one stick of butter with a heaping tablespoon of Old Bay Seasoning, a big pinch of salt and the juice of half a lemon. Spoon it over the corn and potatoes and I promsie you, you won't ever attempt a boil without it. A shrimp boil is really a one-huge pot-meal. No sides are really necessary however we served a huge plate of fresh watermelon on the side and finished off the meal with a key lime pie from Simmon's Seafood shop on Isle of Palms. We religiously buy our boil shrimp from Simmon's. They are fresh off of the boat that morning and always local caught just off the Carolina shore. The pie is an added incentive of course to make the drive. Hands down THE BEST KEY LIME PIE around. Turned out to be another wonderful early-summer evening on the back porch. Looking forward to many more of them over the coming months!

3 comments:

  1. I've known your Aunt Ann since June 1981 when we started working at IBM a week apart. And we both lived in the same apartment complex. We instantly became friends; I think our love of food had something to do with that.

    I noticed that you spoke nothing about what you were drinking at your low country boil. In preparation for summer, I think you need to make up a batch of your Aunt Ann's Bourbon Slushes. What else would a girl from Kentucky serve. She gave me this recipe 28 years ago and it has become my entire family's favorite - we've never gone a summer without it. Then when I thanked her for the recipe again last year, Ann told me she had no idea what I was talking about. What???? So she made them a few weeks ago when I visited her and she even found the plastic container she made them in all those years ago. (I must add that she thought they were a bit too sweet.)

    So just in case you don't have the recipe, here it is...1 large can frozen orange juice concentrate, 1 small can frozen lemonade concentrate, 2 cups sugar, 2 cups strong tea, 3 1/2 cups water and 1 cup of bourbon. Mix it all together and put it in the freezer overnight. Spoon slush mixture into glass and then add 7-Up or Sprite to get desired consistency.

    We make a double batch, but you have to leave 2 days for it to freeze and it takes up a lot of room in the freezer.

    sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sara!!! It's nice to add another foodie to the circle! I'm embarassed to say that I didn't see this comment until just now...I was still new to the blogging world and wasn't sure how everything worked. Thanks so much for chiming in with such a GREAT recipe! I've loved that slush since I was about 8 years old. I used to beg my mom to let me sip hers as a kid =) I haven't made it in years. Would be delicious with a low country boil too! Great idea, will definitely be making it again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad your Aunt Ann 's friend wrote about the Bourbon Slushes, that is a favorite of mine also. I think I will make some for tonight. And it is so funny about Aunt Ann finding her container that she used long ago. Because I am thinking what kind of container do I have to make slushes in???? But they do sound so good for the summer, perfect for Labor Day weekend. I am going to make "Bourbon Slushes" for your Uncle Bill and I to enjoy! This may become our "Harvast Moon" Drink. Namaste,Suellen

    ReplyDelete