Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Salmon with Tomato Vinaigrette

Tried another new recipe last night. This one was reccomended by my friend Heather- she says it is her go-to easy entaining recipe and I see why! We really enjoyed it and I pulled it together in less than 30 minutes- Rachel Ray style.

I decided on roasted brussel sprouts as a side- so I got those going first. Cleaned them, tossed with olive oil, s &p and spread on a baking sheet. Into the oven at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. While those were working, I cleaned the salmon and did some prep for the "vinaigrette" (halved my cherry tomatoes, sliced my shallot and basil, etc). Whole Foods had skinless atlantic fillets which looked beautiful. I actually asked for a half pound piece but the fish guy tried to tell me to buy a whole pound for two people?? I looked at him funny and said that I don't eat that much so he gave me 3/4 lb which really was too much. I would stick with 1/4 lb per person next time.I rised the salmon, patted it dry, folded the skinny end of the filet under the thicker part so that it would cook evenly, drizzled with extra virgin olive oil, seasoned with S&P.

I wanted to time it so that the salmon could finish in the oven alongside the Brussel sprouts, so once the time was down to about 5 minutes, I drizzled some olive oil in a skillet on med-high/high heat and seared the salmon on both sides, approx 2 mins per side. At this point, I took my baking sheet out, gave the brussel sprouts a shuffle, moved to one side of the sheet and added the salmon to the otherside.

I put it back into the oven and set the timer for 5 minutes more. (My salmon was a good 1 inch thick.) Next I wiped some of the oil out of my skillet, added 1 thinly sliced shallot, approx 1.5 cups halfed grape tomatoes, 1 tsp capers, 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, a splash of the white wine I was drinking, and half of a teaspoon of cumin- also added some S&P to taste. Mind you I was cooking for 2 so this is approx half of the recipe as outlined by Food & Wine Mag.

At this time my buzzer is going off- fish and sprouts are done. A minute later, the tomatoes are softened and also done. I threw in 2-3 Tablespoons of fresh basil at the very end. Plated the salmon with a generous scoop of the tomatoes over the top. Accompanied by a large helping of perfectly browned brussel sprouts with a sqeeze of fresh lemon juice - you have a super weeknight meal. Will definately be making this one again soon!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Glad you tried the salmon recipe! :) Super easy, huh?!?!

    ReplyDelete