Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Sausage, Red Onion, and Wild Mushroom Pizza

So I'm a few postings behind- this recipe was actually from last week's Sunday dinner. We had some friends over for dinner after a wonderful day of floating around their pool with cocktails in hand. I had some hot Italian sausage in the freezer so I literally searched Epicurious for recipes with sausage in them. Thankfully I found this one!
I'm normally a fan of Publix fresh pizza dough-but since I now shop at my neighborhood's Harris Teeter (best grocery store EVER) I've been relying on the Pillsbury pizza dough in a can. Much to my surprise, this past week I found that they have a new Thin Crust one! It fits perfects into a cookie sheet without much additional rolling or stretching which was fantastic. I always put some corn meal on the pan under the crust. Keeps it from sticking and adds a nice crunch.
I brushed the crust with olive oil, sprinkled with some fresh rosemary and thyme and some good parmesan reggiano cheese. I then added the browned crumbled Italian sausage, sauteed mixed wild mushrooms and caramelized red onion. For the one crust it was about 2 sausage links, a cup of mushrooms and one onion. (I added some rosemary and thyme to the mushrooms as the sauteed as well.) Layered everything on the pizza, sprinkled with a few generous handfuls of shredded mozzarella and baked at 450 degrees for about 14 minutes. Mine got a little brown, would check it after 10 mins.
Will definitely be making this again. Some goat cheese might be yummy in place of the mozzarella.
The four of us were a bit hungry after a day of floating in the sun- so the pizza didn't last long enough to get a picture of it. Thanks to Epicurious.com, here is a visual for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment