Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Ina's Lemon Pound Cake

Wow! I just googled Ina's Lemon Pound Cake so that I could include a link to the recipe and I noticed that I'm the third blogger to feature this one! Not surprised as it is delicious. I am surprised however that I've posted almost a dozen recipes at this point and I have not mentioned Miss Ina Garten yet. She is one of my favorite foodies of all time- actually probably my number one favorite. I think she has the most impeccable taste. Every recipe and every bit of advice I've learned from her (how to set a table, arrange flowers, put together a menu, etc) has been permanently added to my repertoire. You'll definitely see more from me on this subject... http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/lemon-cake-recipe/index.html This pound cake was delicious. I followed the recipe exactly except that I skipped the lemon syrup. I'll definitely try it next time to compare but the cake and glaze alone really was yummy. I actually made three small loaves instead of one large loaf. John and I enjoyed one fresh (great with coffee in the morning), I gave one to my brother in law and then froze one. I actually pulled the frozen one out this past week- it was wrapped it saran warp and stored in a freezer zip loc bag for about 3 months and it was great! I made a blueberry sauce to go with it- this last time. I think Ina makes a blueberry sauce for a different lemon cake that she makes... Not a fine science- I put 1 heaping cup or so of fresh blueberries in a small pan with a few tablespoons of sugar, about 1 teaspoon flour, the zest and juice of a lemon, and a tablespoon or so of water. I cooked over medium heat unti the blueberries started to burst into a nice sauce. I arranged slices of the pound cake on a plate, topped with vanilla ice cream and the blueberry sauce. Very delicious! Next time I'd skip the ice cream... not really necessary!

1 comment: