Friday, July 2, 2010

Oven Roasted Halibut with Carrots and Beets

Halibut is one of my very favorite fishes. I've been working to find the very best cooking preparation. I would venture to say its not quite as forgiving as something like Salmon. If you over cook it or cook it unevenly the texture changes dramatically to tough and almost fibrous. Fortunately, this last dish came out very very well. (If I do say so myself...) I found beautiful Halibut fillets (1 and 1/2 inches thick) at Whole Foods- I purchased approx 1/2 or 2/3 of a pound for the two of us. Seeing as I was spending $17/lb on the fish for a weeknight dinner, I made a simply medley of roasted root vegetables on the side. It is very inexpensive but still delicious. I chose baby carrots, red beets and vidalia onion. I LOVE beets and red ones give the roasted vegetables a beautiful ruby red color. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Roasted Carrots and Beets: 1 generous cup of carrots (if baby carrots, cut in half- if larger, cut into 1/2 inch pieces) 3 medium/large red beets (peeled and diced into 1/2 inch pieces) 1 small vidalia onion (diced into 1/2 inch pieces) While its a little putsy to cut the veggies into smaller pieces, you make up the time while cooking. Cutting them roughly the same size also ensures everything cooks evenly which is important. I would also recommend wearing plastic gloves to peel and dice the beets as the red does stain your hands a bit. If you don't have them, I sometimes use a paper towel to hold the beets. I actually set the beets aside in a separate bowl from the carrots and onions to avoid everything turning immediately red. I made a quick dressing for the veggies: 1/4 cup olive oil 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar the juice of half an orange 1 tablespoon of honey 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme 1 teaspoon kosher salt 1/2 teaspoon pepper I mixed it together in a liquid measuring cup and then poured 2/3 of the mixture over the carrots and onions in one bowl, tossing everything to coat with the dressing. I then tossed the beets with most of the remaining dressing (save just a tiny bit) before transferring everything to a large baking sheet sprayed lightly with Pam. Into the oven they go for 20 minutes. In the meantime I rubbed the halibut fillets with the last drops of the dressing and seasoned with kosher salt and pepper. I set them out at room temperature while the vegetables were roasting so that they would cook evenly through. At the 20 minute mark, I first shuffled the vegetables about the baking sheet with a spatula and then pushed them toward the sides to make a small space in the middle of the pan for the halibut. I placed the filets on the baking sheet (you get a nice sizzle seeing as the pan is already hot from the oven) and roasted everything together for another 10-12 minutes until the fish was perfectly tender. The fish should be barely firm to the touch and will flake easily when pierced with a fork. You can test a corner to be sure its just right. Yummm..... The dish was surprisingly light yet roasting the vegetables lends a heartiness to the meal.
I actually forgot to serve it with dinner but I enjoyed the left over roasted vegetables for lunch the following day with crumbled goat cheese over the top. Its an absolutely fantastic combo.

No comments:

Post a Comment