Friday, July 2, 2010

Ribeye with Spicy Hoisin Glaze and Sesame Cucumber Salad

Now that I'm living the heart of American farm land, I'm trying to broaden my meat horizons a bit. In Charleston, we had enough fresh fish and shellfish to keep a the health-conscious home cook occupied in the kitchen for years however I've decided to branch out. Its only appropriate seeing as my parents raise beef cattle about 40 miles from here- therefore I'm eager to learn more about the local industry. I have a Whole Foods and Fresh Market handy which I love because on the whole I trust their meat sources however I've also discovered that my Kroger carries Laura's Lean Beef, an all natural cattle producer right here in Lexington, KY. I found the Bon Appetite recipe for Grass Fed Strip Steak with Spicy Hoisin Sauce and Cucumber Relish on Epicurious.com. Though featuring red meat, I thought the menu sounded particularly light and refreshing. I decided to sub in a Ribeye based on the fact it looked better at the store. The ticket here is that one steak generously feed two people. Slicing it thinly before serving really helps fill up your plate with less food. (If I'd put half of a whole steak on the plate, John would have raised an eyebrow for sure.) I first generously seasoned the steak with kosher salt and black pepper, letting it sit out, covered in foil, to come to room temperature. This helps it cook evenly. Next I peeled and sliced 3/4 of an English cucumber into quarter-inch, half slices and tossed it with a simple dressing of: - Scant 1/4 cup rice vinegar - 1.5 teaspoon of grated fresh ginger (I actually by the little jar of of it and keep it in the fridge) - 1 teaspoon of lightly toasted sesame seeds - pinch of sugar and salt I let this set up in the fridge for 20-30 minutes in the fridge to let the cucumbers soak up the flavors. You definitely want to serve this nice and cold. Thirdly, I prepared the Spicy Hoisin Glaze (I took a few short cuts here while cutting the recipe by half)... •1 teaspoon olive oil •1 medium shallots, thinly sliced •1 garlic cloves, minced •1 teaspoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger •1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper •1/4 cup low-salt chicken broth •scant 1/4 cup hoisin sauce (you can find it in the Asian section of most groceries) •2 teaspoons light soy sauce •1 tablespoons honey

(The recipe also called for Cilantro which I did not have but it would have been a fantastic addition.) Per the recipe: Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots and next 3 ingredients; sauté 5 minutes. Add broth, hoisin, and soy sauce; boil until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in honey.

I removed the glaze from the heat and then prepared a cast iron skillet for "grilling" the steak. I love a steak on the grill but if you love your steak medium rare (or if you're having a lazy day and don't feel like getting the grill ready) I swear by this method. I find I'm consistently able to avoid over cooking. I heat some vegetable oil (just a drizzle and not olive oil because the smoke point isn't as high enough) over medium-high/high heat until rippling. I then sear the steak for two-three minutes per side. That's.it. I let it rest under tented-foil for 10 minutes before serving. Note: it continues to cook some as it sits.

While the steak was resting, I sliced one medium vidalia onion into half inch slices. I threw it into the cast iron skillet and sauteed in the left over oil and steak renderings over medium heat until tender and golden brown. (A bit decadent I know but its the only splurge in the menu.) I added a little squeeze of honey and one teaspoon of rice vinegar to de-glaze the little bits of goodness and to help facilitate caramelization. Lastly I sliced the steak thinly into "his and hers" portions onto two plates, spooned some of the Hoisin Glaze over top and then served a generous spoonful of the cucumber salad and sauteed onions alongside. The cool, crispy cucumbers cut through the heat and the richness of the steak and onions just perfectly. The glaze was the perfect sweet, spicy, savory combination. It would be great over grilled chicken or pork tenderloin as well. The dish was incredibly satisfying despite the fact we were in essence splitting a steak and omitting starch. It will definitely be going into the summer rotation this year. His... Hers...

No comments:

Post a Comment