Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Texas Strip Steak with Cilantro- Parsley Sauce and Crushed Potatoes

I was fortunate to spend last weekend visiting some of my best college friends in Fort Worth, Texas. Though I could very easily have eaten Tex-Mex three meals a day and enjoyed every last bite of it, we opted to cook dinner in Saturday night. We were feeling spent after a decadent brunch at Tillman's Roadhouse followed by an afternoon sipping frozen lemonade with vodka by the pool. Before I get to the menu, I have to tell you about three AMAZING Fort Worth destinations that I would demand you visit if you're ever in the area. 1. La Familia Tex Mex. I hadn't been on Texas soil an hour before I was greeted warmly by an unbelievably delicious and ENORMOUS margarita, a cup of queso and a huge basket of fresh tortilla chips at La Familia. Let's just say my hostess knows me very well... They bring you a little cup of delicious soup before your meal. For dinner we opted for Tacos al Carbon- one chicken, one steak- loaded with grilled onions inside of freshly made tortillas and accompanied by fresh guac, pico, cheese, etc. HEAVENLY I tell you... Oh, did I say margarita?? I meant to tell you that it HAD A BEER STICKING OUT OF THE TOP and flaming sugar cubes on the sides as they brought it to the table... As you drink the margarita (you'll need a straw for this one) the beer slowly empties into the glass. Absolutely amazing!

2. I mentioned Tillman's Roadhouse brunch earlier... this place was absolutely unlike anything I've ever seen before. It is rustic roadhouse meats metropolitan chic. Its a log-cabin feel with longhorns on the wall and huge crystal chandeliers hanging from the ceiling. You'd really have to see it to understand but the food was equally as clever and unique. They bring you fresh fried kettle chips at the table when you sit down and the menu incredible. We'd already been warned about dessert so unfortunately we decided to pass on the house made monkey bread that I happened to see at a nearby table. It was a HEAP of gooey doughy cinnamon deliciousness.

For my entree I enjoyed the "Bennie and the Jets" dish of two blue corn cakes topped with pulled pork bbq, poached eggs and green chile "bacon-daise." Lets just say its a benedict like you've never experienced before. Incredible. 'Nuff said.

Lastly... we ordered the Smores for dessert... The brought us three different kinds of HOMEMADE marshmallows (espresso, maple and orange flavors), rich dark chocolate squares and house made graham crackers on a huge platter. Then they bring out mini bonfires (in little clay pots) and skewers for you to toast your marshmallows table side! I'm telling you, if you're ever in the area, you can't miss it.

3. Central Market. If you've been to Austin or DFW you've probably heard of Central Market but this was my first experience. It is any food lovers HEAVEN ON EARTH. It is an enormous market that I would equate to Whole Foods on super steroids. It is a giant warehouse containing the most impressive array of fresh produce, meets, seafood, wine and grocery items. This is where we did our shopping for dinner Saturday night and I literally could have spent days there. When it was time to plan a menu for dinner, I had no hope of topping brunch but seeing as we were in cattle country I picked out three TEXAS-sized strip steaks which was more than enough for the six of us. I seasoned them simply with a steak rub and let sit out at room temperature while I prepped a quick and simple Parsley-Cilantro dipping sauce and Michael Chiarello's Potatoes da Delphina.

I'll refer you to Michael's recipe for more details about the potatoes but its a fun alternative to baked or your standard roasted potatoes. I subbed in parmesan cheese for the lemon zest this time.

For the Cilantro-Parsley Sauce, I combined the following ingredients in the food processor:

1/2 bunch parsley, stems removed 1/2 bunch cilantro, stems removed 1 jalapeno, seeds removed, roughly chopped 2 large cloves of garlic 1/4 cup red wine vinegar 1 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon pepper I whirred everything together in the food processor and then while it was running I slowly poured about 1/3 cup of olive oil down the spout. I grilled the steaks for approx 4 minutes per side for medium rare. Liz had sliced a large vidalia onion into thick slices and then wrapped them up in tin foil with some butter, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. (I think..) I set the foil packets on the grill at the same time as the steaks. I then threw on some asparagus (with just olive oil, salt and pepper) for the last 4 minutes of the grill time. I let the steaks rest 10 minutes and then sliced them on a large wooden cutting board and let everyone serve themselves. (I was keeping the potatoes warm in the oven until ready to serve.) I transferred the Cilantro-Parsley sauce to a small pitcher to drizzle over top the steak. It adds a huge punch of flavor. You'll end up dunking just about everything on your plate into it. Can't wait to get back some day soon.. where everything is bigger, and as far as eating and drinking goes, maybe a little better... in Texas!!

1 comment:

  1. Isn't that Margarita called the "Redneck" Margarita?? I heard it's fabulous! Also, can you come be my personal chef, please?? We also have started doing steaks in the cast iron skillet to oven method, and they can ALMOST beat the grill any day. Dangerous statement I know, but true, especially when you don't want to grill in 107degree heat outside. :)

    ReplyDelete